7.14.2014

Revamping Pressed Wood Bookshelf

Over the weekend I tried my hand at some DIY projects. First I picked up an old tv stand/cabinet at a garage sale. It was likely purchased at walmart and made of pressed wood. I took it home and started stripping the laminate off to prep the surface for primer. I soon learned that although its probably a good idea to remove that shiny layer off real wood surfaces, its not such a great idea for laminate. The pressed wood is under an extremely thin layer of laminate so once you remove the shine your left with crumbling pressed wood. After really examining the cabinet I decided it wasnt worth the work (too much wear and tear). But I had already gone out and bought this awesome green paint, so I walked around my room looking for something to paint. I was on a mission. I decided on my black 6 cubby target bookshelf!

Before 
ClosetMaid 6-Cube Organizer - Black Ash
Because two of my shelves were damaged during the last move I decided to remove them.
Then I primed the piece with Kilz spray primer (2 cans). I was lazy and did not sand in between coats, but I highly recommend you do. I regretted it during painting time. 
Kilz Primer, Aerosol, 13 oz.
TIP: if you plan to do this with a new shelf you just purchased, paint before you assemble!! 

Primed 

Again make sure to sand after the last coat. Get it real smooth otherwise your piece will end up with a textured look similar to a spackled wall. If you have a sander it will save you tons of time. If I had one I wouldnt have been so lazy. 

Even though I primed I still bought paint and primer in one silk gloss paint; better safe than sorry. 
TIP: use painters tape for the fronts of the dividers to avoid clumping. Then use a thin brush. I learned the hard way and had to sand off clumps and repaint (newbie).

Finished

Love this green. I will most likely add a design to the side panel later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment